UPDATE On Officer Who Dragged Screaming Nurse Away For Refusing To Draw Blood From Unconscious Patient

By  | 


A disciplinary decision has been made about the Utah police officer who arrested a nurse for refusing to draw blood from a patient without a court order or the patient’s consent.

According to Fox News, Detective Jeff Payne, an officer with the Salt Lake City Police Department, has been fired from his job.

It all began when Detective Payne requested that the hospital draw blood from an unconscious patient who was housed in the hospital’s burn unit.

The patient’s injuries were the result of an automobile accident, and the authorities presumably wanted to learn whether or not the patient was intoxicated.

Nurse Alex Wubbels calmly explained that she could not draw the unconscious patient’s blood without one of three things: an electronic warrant, a patient’s consent, or a patient under arrest.

This did not seem to sit well with the officer who said,

“So I take it that without those in place, I’m not going to get blood?” 

The nurse was being backed up by a supervisor, who was participating in the conversation via speaker phone.

The officer says to the voice on the phone,

She’s the one who told me no.” 

The supervisor responds with,

“Sir, you’re making a huge mistake right now… Like, you’re making a huge mistake because you’re threatening…”

It’s at that point that the officer reaches for the phone, saying,

“No. We’re done, you’re under arrest.” 

The nurse pulls the phone out of the officer’s reach, and then things escalated very quickly.


The officer advances on the nurse, who is backing up from him, telling her that she is under arrest.

She backs into an onlooking officer, and then Detective Payne can be seen apprehending her.

Nurse Wubbles cries out for somebody to help her, and is forcibly pushed outside of the hospital. She is screaming and crying as this is happening.

She is then pushed against an exterior wall, and the handcuffs are placed on her wrists.

Arrest 3

The video ends with her being taken away. She was later released, and no charges were filed.

Since the video was uploaded online, it has gone viral, with millions of people witnessing the situation unfold.

Detective Payne was placed on leave after the altercation, until an investigation could be performed.

After the investigation was conducted, the Salt Lake City Police Department announced that the detective was to be fired.

You can watch the video of the incident below, but be forewarned, it gets very loud at around the one minute twenty-one second mark. Be sure that you have your speakers set to a low level by then.



Source: Fox News

Source: LA Times

Report Complaints We welcome complaints about errors that warrant correction (inaccurate information, grammatical errors, etc). To report a problem click on the blue “Report Content” button below. If that doesn’t work you can also use our Contact Form.

For opinion articles, information and opinions put forth by contributors are exclusive to them and do not represent the views of US Chronicle.

  • You must be logged in to post a comment Login

    Spelling error report

    The following text will be sent to our editors: